Sunday, April 6, 2008

Look out Mom's to be and newborns...




Wow! What a great weekend. One thing I pride myself on is my desire to constantly improve and learn. To achieve this aside from going back to school last year to study Photography in more depth, I continue to attend workshops by photographers who's work I respect and admire in areas where I know I can grow. My emphasis has always been on photographing the relationships between family members, and catching the unique spirit in each child. Needless to say newborns and maternity work has not been as much of a focus. One photographer has always stood out in my mind when it comes to artfully capturing this magical time in a woman's life and the magic of a day's old newborn. Jodi Otte is her name http://www.jottephotography.com/ (check her out). Anyway she led a small intimate workshop and shared her secrets for the most flattering light for pregnant woman, how to calm a newborn, unique positions to capture the magic between newborn and new parents and just about everything you would want to know. My only regret was not being able to put what I learned right to work. Of course I had to satisfy this need right away so, I grabbed one of the other participants who just happened to be pregnant and had a go at it. Much as I wanted a newborn to practice on, I decided she should keep her baby safely inside her for a few more months. Here are a few sneak peaks from my impromptu session. Stay tuned for an announcement for a workshop special to help me satisfy this itch.